More Router Woes

I’ve finally installed my wireless router. I thought I’d do it now, even though at this stage I have no wireless devices. I did have some pretty serious troubles getting it all working. It uses a pretty straightforward wizard, but because my modem was set up to auto-dial, I wasn’t able to set it up initially. Finally, after resetting the router, and then the modem, and setting up the modem as a bridge, I was able to get the wizard to work. Tip: if your NetGear router has mistakenly identified the connection type as Static IP, or Dynamic IP, when it should be PPPoE, then you need to reset the router to factory settings to get it to work. You should also do this if you change connection type (ie, Cable to DSL, or vice-versa). This would have saved me heaps of time. Tip 2: don’t use a 7.5V supply if it should be a 12V supply. The router appeared to work fine, lights all came on and everything, but DHCP server didn’t run. Now to the problem I’m still having. The router has a DHCP server, but not a DNS server. So it gives out IP addresses, and reports the name of the device that has each IP address, but there isn’t a way to just visit a device by using that name. The modem-router setup I had previously did have a DNS server, which meant I could have each machine get an IP, and then use the name of the machine to connect to it. In the interim I’ve set up each computer with entries in the relevant hosts file (or equivalent), and I’ve given permanent leases to my machines. That will have to do.

Upgrade SpeedTouch Home-Pro-510

I’ve upgraded my SpeedTouch modem from the Home version, to the Pro version. To get better web access tools, I then upgraded it to the 510 firmware. However, I then had to set my PC’s IP address back to one in the 10.0.0.X range, as the modem had decided not to get an IP address from the DHCP server on my network. Hopefully that has been fixed now… I’m not sure that I’ll keep the upgrade in place. Whilst it allows for easer NA(P)T translations, it doesn’t seem to have some other features. I’m not sure if I’ll need them or not, but it seems to me that NA(P)T is more likely to be changed than connection type (PPP, PPTP, other). As I start using other applications, and run servers on my LAN, I’ll likely want to set up some port forwards.

Can't Reset Alcatel Smart Modem

I’m about to connect to ADSL, and bought a Smart Modem Home second hand, and rather cheap. I upgraded it to a Pro, which was amazingly simple, and then upgraded the firmware. Since my LAN uses 192.168.x.x addresses, rather than 10.0.0.x addresses, I also configured it to use one of these (actually, it gets one from my DHCP server running on the NSLU2). At some stage, it dropped off the network. I could no longer ping it on any address - basically it seemed to have chosen a random new IP address, and I couldn’t find this out. So, I tried a hard reset. This is where you hold down the reset button using a pen or paperclip, and then power cycle the modem. No change. Finally, I found these instructions, on Ozcableguy:

Open a Command Prompt Window (Start > Run > Command) Type the following (It is case sensitive):- ARP -s 10.0.0.138 01-90-D0-80-01-FF Switch the Pro off and back on. In the Command Window, type the following:- ping 10.0.0.138 -t If all went well, you should start to see replies after 30 secs to 1 min. If not, try it again. Finally, it is imperative to clear the entry we added in the Command Window, so type the following ARP -d 10.0.0.138

There was also one that didn’t work, with the last hex value being 01 instead of FF. I never saw any response to the pings, but the modem kept resetting itself when I was doing this. Eventually, after about two minutes, I tired of waiting, and switched the modem off, stopped the ping and removed the arp entry. After restarting the modem, I was able to connect to it again, and now it’s back to being a nice member of my network. Or was - I may have just screwed it up again, and will need to repeat the process… These are the steps I went through the second time, and the results I got: $ arp -s 192.168.1.138 01-90-D0-80-01-FF This sets the IP address of the device to 192.168.1.138. From the arp help, it seems that the second value is the ethernet MAC address, but this seems to be a ‘master’ address, and must be typed as above. Then power cycle the modem. When it boots up, type the following into the shell: $ ping 192.168.1.138 -t I left it for a couple of resets, then Ctrl-C’d the ping, and cycled the power on the modem. When it came back up, it had reset to it’s factory settings. Since, for a Pro modem (which mine thinks it is now) it looks for any available DHCP server, and I had the DHCP server set to allocate the address 192.168.1.138 for this MAC address, it got reallocated the correct address. All the settings are defaults again, but that’s cool, as I haven’t set anything up yet anyway.